One of the key reasons why some organizations are drastically better than their peers is that they recruit exceptional talent that align with the goals and culture of the organization. Apple is a great example of an organization that is laser focused on exactly who is an A-player and then works tirelessly to recruit, develop and retain them.
Oftentimes we work with fraternities and sororities that have difficulty determining who specifically they are looking for and/or how to evaluate if they are the right fit for their organization. Apple is able to do this with 115,000 employees because of their crystal clear understanding of what they want in a member of their organization.
Here are the 5 key things Apple CEO Tim Cook looks for in his talent:
- Brilliance. “We look for wicked smart people,” said Cook. But being smart really isn’t enough. “Put that aside for a second. There are a lot of wicked smart people.”
- Determination. “We look for grit and determination,” he said. It’s that ability to stick with it and bounce back when you encounter obstacles.
- Obsessive curiosity. “We look for people who are curious because, many times, you don’t really know what to do, but you are curious enough to start pulling the string to see where it takes you,” Cook said.
- A team focus. “We look for people that are very collaborative because nobody — even somebody who has an S on their chest and a cape on their back — can do everything alone,” he said. “So we look for people that believe that by working with others they can amplify what they do.”
- Agitated idealism. “We look for people who won’t accept the status quo, people who aren’t satisfied with the way things are, that really want to change the world and sort of put all of themselves into doing it,” said Cook.
How do we translate this to our chapter recruitment?
- Have extremely high standards if you want top talent in your organization
- Know exactly what characteristics/experiences you are looking for in a candidate
- Determine how you will evaluate if a candidate has those characteristics/experiences
- Share this everywhere to attract top talent (the right candidates will want to join more because they know it is a great fit and the wrong candidates will remove themselves from the process because they know they don’t fit)
Interested in providing winning recruitment training for your chapters? Contact Us to get started!